Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fennel Spring Onion Rice

I see this heavy leafy vegetable very common here in Belgium. I know it is called “venkel” in Dutch. But never bothered to translate to know what it is. Neither did I ever thought of buying it. Same goes for “Witloof” (chicory) or “Asperges” (yes, that you guessed it right Winking smile). Very recently, someone mentioned that it is good for cramps and then I took a moment translate it. Believe me or not, until that day, I never knew a “vegetable” form of Fennel existed!! I dared to buy this strange thing and experiment.

When it comes to experiments, I’m a bit under trouble. The result should turn really good to get the first appreciation from my husband (it was easier for me to clear my chemistry paper instead!!). I got two of those and was completely out of idea for their usage. Most of the internet searches went on to soup or some form of salad. But I was looking more for a main dish. With a little frustration of “dry mind”, I prepared sambar with one of those. Hmm… turned out good. But sambar was not really an option for fennel.

In one of the next days, I was under the compulsion to put to use the other one (else he was going to spoil his other friends in the fridge). But I had no time for googling. A quick look at the fridge showed spring onions on top. I finally ended up with an “under 15 minutes” recipe as below.

Ingredients
1 fennel stem
2 or 3 bulbs of spring onions
Green chillies, as per taste
Salt, as per taste
1 cup rice (preferably basmati)
Cumin seeds
Whole garam masala

Method
Wash the rice and drain the water.
Cut the fennel, leaving out the stalks and hard base.
Chop the spring onions and green chillies.
Heat a pan and add oil.
Add in jeera and whole garam masala items.
When jeera and others splutter, add green chillies. Then add fennel and spring onions.
Sauté for few minutes and add salt as per taste. Do no over cook fennel or spring onions.
Add drained rice and mix to just combine everything. Make sure not to break the rice.
Add 2 cups of water and cook the above mixed rice in rice cooker until done.
Optionally you can garnish with coriander leaves.

I was not expecting a good outcome of this self made lazy girl’s recipe. So, didn’t even bother to shoot a picture of it. But honestly, it was too good to be easy. The fusion of fennel with spring onion was great and fresh. This got into my list of quick dinner ideas. I promise to take a picture of the rice when I do it the next time.



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment